Lan zhou is the capital of Gan Su province, in the northwest of the continent.
In 1696 Pope Innocent XII entrusted the mission of of Gan Su to the Apostolic Vicar of Shan Xi. In 1878 Pope Leo XIII created a new Apostolic Vicariate , grouping the Gan Su province and Xing Jiang, entrusted to the CICM missionaries, with Fr. Fernand Hamer CICM first Apostolic Vicar . In 1946, year of the establishment of the Chinese Hierarchy, the capital Lan Zhou became archdiocese. Since 1987 until today we have seen the rebirth of the local Church thanks to the missionary commitment and the pastoral care of bishops, priests and religious, but especially of the laity. Today the faithful are over 35 thousand, thirty priests , more than 200 religious women of three congregations , forty seminarians, about eighty novices. The Diocese is very active in missionary pastoral through charitable and social works.